Anything is possible, unless it's not

Thursday, July 14, 2011

It's time to upgrade!

Hello world,

Recently, I chose to upgrade my GNU/Linux distribution from Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) to Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal). It was a pain in the butt, because of my slow Internet connection, here in Indonesia. After hours of downloading updated packages, unfortunately the automated distro upgrade did not work as expected. It freezes after booting.

So I tried to give it one more shot. Fortunately, I have got a copy of Knoppix live CD to rescue my files to an USB stick, reformat the drive, and installed a fresh copy of Ubuntu 11.04. The installation went flawlessly. Also the installation of my wireless network card driver went flawlessly, unlike my previous installation. But there's another pain in the butt to download all the softwares and packages I have installed before... I wonder if there is a way to backup all of the packages...

Oh no! I forgot to backup my .emacs file!

No comments:

Post a Comment